Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support for Experienced Providers (ACLS EP) is a NEW ACLS renewal program designed primarily for seasoned healthcare providers who manage complex cardiovascular, respiratory, and other emergencies and need to renew their ACLS course completion requirements. The ACLS EP Course emphasizes a systematic approach to patient care, critical thinking skills and critical decision-making skills and the questions; if you knew the cause of the cardiac arrest, would that change your management approach? If you had this information before the arrest, could you have prevented cardiopulmonary collapse or death? More generally, if you knew the eventual cause of sudden death (eg, acute coronary syndrome), what could you do to create a pathway for prevention and survival? Through didactic instruction and active participation in case-based scenarios, learners will enhance their skills in the diagnosis and treatment of cardiopulmonary prearrest, arrest, and postarrest patients.
This course is designed for seasoned ACLS providers who wish to renew their provider status by using critical decision-making strategies. Physicians and other healthcare professionals who respond to complex cardiovascular, respiratory, and other emergencies are encouraged to attend.
- The ACLS EP Course emphasizes 4 major concepts:
- The crucial importance of high-quality cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) to patient survival
- The integration of effective BLS with ACLS interventions
- The importance of effective team interaction and communication during resuscitation
- Critical thinking and critical decision-making skills
The course is designed to give learners the opportunity to practice and demonstrate proficiency in the following skills used in resuscitation:
- Systematic approach: BLS, Primary, and Secondary Assessments
- High-quality BLS
- Airway management
- Rhythm recognition
- Intravenous/intraosseous access (information only)
- Use of medications
- Transcutaneous pacing
- Team resuscitation concept (Team Leader and team member)
The course is also designed to discuss the following categories of cases through critical thinking and critical decision-making:
- Post–cardiac arrest care
- Cardiovascular and cerebrovascular emergencies
- Clinical pharmacology and toxicology emergencies
- Respiratory and metabolic emergencies
ACLS EP Provider Course Prerequisites: Click here to view HSF Prerequisites
Students are given direction on how to access the Student website in their ACLS EP Provider Manual and Resource Text (Page ii). The student website provides important supplementary information and videos, a link to the Precourse Self- Assessment (Optional), and the link to purchase and take the ACLS EP Entrance Exam. The mandatory ACLS EP Entrance Exam requires a passing score of 84% or higher to print the certificate. Students will have 2 attempts to complete the exam with each purchase of the ACLS EP Entrance Exam key.
Required Student Materials:
Only Heart & Stroke branded ACLS EP materials are accepted for use in courses where a Heart & Stroke Foundation ACLS EP completion card is issued.
· The Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support for Experienced Providers Manual and Resource Text (ACLS EP Manual) – print or eBook (RE5710E or RE5710ED)
· 2015 Handbook of Emergency Cardiovascular Care for Healthcare Providers – print (RE0120E) or eBook(RE0120ED)
· Pocket Reference Card – print (RE5770E) or digital (RE5770ED) – Included in Provider manual and sold separately